[ubuntu-it-fcm] [ubuntu-it-fcm]Marco Letizia

Flavia Weisghizzi flavia a weisghizzi.it
Mer 6 Feb 2008 14:56:02 GMT

TESTO 1

Testo179: Written by Stephen Bant

Testo181: My iBook G4 wasn't being used much, so I decided to install
Ubuntu Feisty on it. Here's how it was done, and I give you the warts
and all procedure as it happened in the hands of an average tinkerer.

Testo188: UBUNTU ON AN iBOOK

Testo262: First things first. Back up all critical files and extra
applications on the iBook to another disk of some kind. Your existing OS
X will be overwritten. Then download the “Mac (PowerPC) and IBM-PPC
(POWER5) desktop CD” from here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/
releases/feisty/release/ You’ll find it at the top of the page. Burn the
ISO to disk. Boot up the iBook using your Mac OS X setup CD 1. Once up
and running, launch the Disk Utility program. This is going to be used
to partition the disk so that you can put OS X on one partition and
Ubuntu on the other. Remember, the present OS X is going to be
overwritten—there is no turning back once the disk is partitioned, so
double check that you have everything you want. Partition sizes will
depend on you. I just split everything down the middle. Some people use
around 10GB for OS X, but that doesn't leave any space to play around
with, and you would have to omit or delete things like the Garage Band
program. Just make each partition Mac OS X Extended HFS or HFS+. Don't
use HFS+ Journaled, as you won't be able to write to the OS X partition
from Linux. But even if you do, you can disable journaling later, as I
had to do, anyway (see below). When it came to naming each partition, I
named the first one "Ubuntu" and the second one "OSX". That was supposed
to prevent confusion about where things were going. Then I went straight
ahead and installed OS X on the OSX partition. Some people advise to
install Mac OS X on the partition at the end of the disk. Well, I
thought I was doing that by installing to the partition I had named OSX,
but I may have misread the Disk Utilities setup, or it may have made up
its own mind where it was going, because it ended up at the front of the
disk. Not to worry, as it just doesn’t seem to matter, in my experience.
Now the fun starts. Eject the Mac OS install disk and insert the Ubuntu
Feisty install disk you burned earlier. Boot from this disk by holding
Option + c during start-up. Type "expert" at the boot-loader prompt.
This will give you more control during the installation process. Also,
make sure you have a network connection so that networking is
automatically configured and the system can get any necessary downloads.
Go through the installation process as usual. Everything is straight
forward, until you come to the partitioning section. I mean, if you
don’t accept the default, letting the installer auto partition for you,
you have to put some thought into it to set up your own partitions.
First, delete the Ubuntu partition you created earlier, then go back and
choose to use maximum free space. Now, if you don’t care to have
customized partitioning, just accept the defaults and skip the next
three paragraphs. I have a confession to make at this point. I used what
was the latest build of Ubuntu Gutsy PPC Server as part of my
experiment—blame my tinkering gene. The Gusty install calculated the
partitioning nicely for me, which desktop versions don’t, as far as I
know. I let it write the partitions. But then I reflected, if should
things not work out, I don’t what to be dealing with a command line. So,
I stopped the install process and began again with a Feisty desktop CD,
and when it came to the partitioning section, I simply reused what the
Gusty disk had set up. I had to rename them, though. It was lucky I did
install Feisty because I learned later after an upgrade that Gutsy is
buggy and as slow as hell on an iBook. Abandon all hope ye who enter
that zone of hell! I reinstalled Feisty after that little adventure.
Once past partitioning, Ubuntu will continue installing everything
smoothly and will eventually install the Yaboot boot manager for
choosing your preferred system to boot-up time, OSX or Ubuntu. That
should be it. It’s time to restart. You can check that you have ended up
with a disk structure something like is shown below. Lovely. Boot into
OS X, fire up a terminal window and type in "fdisk -l" to get the list.
That was easy for me to do because it just booted into OS X all of the
time. Yaboot's little menu screen should have appeared, where you can
hit "l" to boot into Linux or "m" to boot into Mac OS X, or you can
leave it for Ubuntu to start loading by default, but that isn’t what was
happening for me. For some reason, Yaboot just wouldn’t kick in. That
was no problem. If Yaboot is a no-show, open up the Mac's open firmware
console. You do this by booting up while holding the Mod + Option + o +
f keys. This will put you in "Open Firmware" mode. Once you have the
console type this: boot hd:2,yaboot At least, that's what I needed to
enter. (The hd:2 here just means hda2, where Yaboot is loaded. You can
see that hda2 is called Apple_Bootstrap untitled in the fdisk list
above). After I did that it booted up into the Yaboot menu and after a
few seconds, by default, Ubuntu started loading. Everything worked fine.
Good, now's the time to fix it so that Yaboot gives you a dual boot
option, and you can tweak it a bit while you’re at it. So open up a
terminal and run these commands. sudo yabootconfig sudo gedit
/etc/yaboot.conf That yaboot.conf is of course Yaboot's configuration
file. Add the following lines to it: macosx=/dev/hdXX defaultos=macosx #
add this only if you like MAC OS X to be the default Save the file. Most
instructions say that you now type the following ybin This loads the
config settings for you. However, this wasn't enough for me. It worked
until I booted into OS X again. After that Yaboot abandoned me, and I
had to go into firmware mode again to get it back in the same way I
specified earlier. This is the command that makes the Yaboot config
settings stick for me. ybin -b /dev/hda2 Yaboot hasn't failed me once
since I did that. Below is an example of what else can go in yaboot.conf
The box below shows what is presently in my yaboot.conf. Those last two
instructions add two more options to your Yaboot menu at startup,
allowing you to also choose whether to boot from a CD or to bring up the
firmware console. The next step is to enable file sharing between OS X
and Ubuntu. You should be able to copy from OS X to Ubuntu already. But
enabling file sharing in the other direction could be a problem. I was
stuck on this for a while. However, I worked it out. To view the files
in the shared partition, do this: sudo mkdir /media/OSX And then sudo
mount -t hfsplus /dev/hda5 /media/OSX My iBook's /etc/fstab has the
following entry so that it is automatically mounted:

    *

      /dev/hda3 /media/OSX hfsplus rw,exec,auto,users,gid=31 0 0

Or just go through Administration > Shared Folders and make it a shared
folder. You probably still will not be able to copy files over to OS X
from Ubuntu. So reboot into Mac OS X, then go to Utilities and fire up
the Disk Utility program. Select and highlight the OS X disk icon. Go to
menu and under File you will see the Disable Journaling option. Click
that to disable journaling. Reboot back into Ubuntu. You should now be
able to copy files over to OS X. You can also disable journaling in OS X
from the command line in Ubuntu with this: sudo diskutil disableJournal
/Volumes/<OS X Volume Name> I've seen discussions on changing your Linux
user uid and gid to match that of OS X to try and access the Mac
partition. This also means changing all permissions system wide in order
to match your new uid and gid. Seems like a big hassle to me. I haven't
checked support for Airport, but for now, everything I need is working
on my iBook, plus things I don't need like fancy desktop effects. I like
my iBook even more now. It’s got its cool back.

TESTO 2

CREATE YOUR OWN SERVER

Testo70: This guide will begin at the very start, installation, and take
you through all the steps to eventually having your own fully working
Ubuntu server which could be used in your home or for a business of any
size.

Testo109: Written by Daniel Lamb

Testo243: We will start by downloading Ubuntu 7.10 from
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and select Ubuntu 7.10 Server
Edition for 'Standard personal computer' and chose the most appropriate
mirror for you from the drop down menu. I am choosing Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy
Gibbon) for various reasons but the main reason is support of most
modern hardware and it will also support the newest Raid systems and
Gigabit network cards which currently 6.06 LTS (Long Term Support) does
not, however with version 8.04 LTS this should be re-assessed. After
downloading Ubuntu 7.10 Server you need to write the image to CD using
your favorite CD burning program, if you are on windows you can look at
using Infrarecorder which can be downloaded from
http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/. Once you have written the image
to CD place your Ubuntu Server CD into your drive and boot from it,
ensure that your system is set to boot from CD. You will then see this
screen (above right). Choose 'Install to the hard disk'. The
installation will now start. First you will have to choose your
language, then select your location. Next choose a keyboard layout, you
will need to press a few keys so the installer can detect your keyboard
layout based on the keys you pressed, or you can manually chose what
keyboard you have. The installer checks the installation CD, your
hardware, and configures the network with DHCP if it is connected to the
network, or you can configure this manually. Now enter the 'hostname'.
My system is called 'server.domain.local', so I enter 'server'. Now you
will need to partition your disk, let the setup create the partitions
(swap and root) automatically unless you are confident on doing this
manually. When you are ready, hit 'Yes' to 'Write the changes to disks?'
Now your partitions will be created and formatted. Setup the system
clock. Normally UTC is a safe choice. Next create a new user, I use the
name 'Administrator' with the user name 'administrator'. Don't use the
user name 'admin' as that is a system name in Ubuntu. The base system
will now be installed. Now we get the option of what extra software gets
installed, we are going to choose DNS, mail, LAMP, OpenSSH, print and
SAMBA servers. Select the different servers using the space key then
continue. The GRUB boot loader will now be installed. The installation
is now finished. Remove your CD from the drive and hit 'Continue' to
reboot the system.

That is the first part of the Ubuntu server installed. Next issue, we
will cover updates, installing the Xubuntu desktop and also the webmin
install.