[ubuntu-it-fcm] Articoli per i candidati/ Lidia Pellizzaro

Flavia Weisghizzi flavia a weisghizzi.it
Mer 6 Feb 2008 14:57:53 GMT

LETTERS

Testo238: Ubuntu is hot nowadays, so i installed it on my computer which
already had Windows Vista installed. The hardware support really
surprised me, although my ATI X1950GT video card didn't work properly.
But then I started to have some trouble with Ubuntu: 1. My Firefox dies
quite often. 2. For some unknown reason my Ubuntu began to run very
slowly. 3. Even though i'm not using any 'large' applications, Ubuntu
runs at a rather slow speed. My PC is a P4 3G, 1.5G of RAM, 80Gb hard
drive, ATI X1950GT with 512Mb of RAM. I really expected the speed and
stablity of Linux, but why is it not what I expected? I only installed a
few themes and Mplayer from the outset, and i didn't think it would
affect the system so much. Though i use Vista as my primary OS, I still
hope that people will like Ubuntu which represents Linux. Urio

I just "stumbled" onto your magazine today. I love it. I'm a new Linux
convert and find that a lot of the readings on Linux are well over my
head, your magazine is the perfect solution. I'll be reading every
issue, and look forward to the day when I may even be able to contribute
in some fashion. Keep up the amazing work! You are being appreciated!
Dave Connor

I really appreciate your magazine especially the News and the Top5, it's
also nice to read about the people that have change from win to Linux.
That's a swap I also would like to do, unfortunately I still have some
issues and need to dual boot. I've only run Ubuntu for around 6 months
and earlier I've been in contact with RedHat
<http://wiki.ubuntu-it.org/RedHat>, Fedora, Mandriva and PCLinuxOS but
there has always been something that made me keep Windows. This time I'm
really close to taking the plunge, everything is more or less ok, but
not perfect... The sound is low, even though I've followed the help on
the Ubuntu site but I can live with that it only catches me out when I
boot up XP and I think that my speakers will explode. The printer, a
Canon Pixma IP4000, is only able to print 600 x 600 dpi with cups (even
though it should be able to print at 4800x1200 dpi) so when I would like
to print a photograph I need to go to XP. And last but I believe it's
the most annoying: I cant use my Polar Vantage NV watch (left) or my
Garmin Forerunner 301 (right). As I mentioned I've only been running
Ubuntu for about 6 months and I'm still a bit of a newbie but even
though I searched the Internet during that time I still haven't found a
single app that is close to what I want in concern of training logs. So
I now ask for your help readers! I've tried to run the Polar Vantage
software under WINE with some success, it starts but isn't able to load
the data from the watch. 'Hac4Linux
<http://wiki.ubuntu-it.org/Hac4Linux>' isn't able to find my watch and
I'm not able to reach the developer (looks like the project has closed
down). TCX converter can read some data from my Forerunner 301 (below),
but I'm not able to view it and it doesn't have any statistics or
calendar function. KPersonaltrainer and Kipinä are far from what I want.
Are there any good training log applications with good statistical
analysis? A nice calender and the possibility to read data from my Polar
Vantage watch and/or Forerunner 301? Thank you all for the help, and
it's ok to display my email if you believe that someone can give me some
ideas in any of my problems (the watch, the printer, the graphics and
the sound) Lars Modig eb99lamo a kth.se <mailto:eb99lamo a kth.se>

    *

      LETTER OF THE MONTH

Text484lop: Writer of Letter of the Month wins two metal Ubuntu case
badges!

Testo335: First of all I want to thank you for this magazine. I am quite
new to Linux and these articles help me a lot to understand this world.
The Scribus tutorial series is probably the most useful. I am living in
a block of flats surrounded by a garden. The tenants are very proud of
it. We have won a Landscape Architecture Award four times in the last
few years from the mayor of our town. Most of the tenants are my friends
and we have spent a lot of time with gardening. And I wanted to thank
them for their work with a little Christmas present. I wanted to make a
calendar with photos of our garden. I have never made such a desktop
publishing before. So I had to learn a lot. I have read the whole
Scribus tutorial series from the first issue. After that it seemed to be
a piece of cake. The result is simple but great. My friends like it, so
do I. I could give them something special. And they asked me to create
another calendar about our neighbourhood next year, too. Attila